This paper is the seventh and final installment in a series on Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud from the ECAR Cloud Working Group.
PROFILE: Recognized thought leader in the higher education cloud computing community with a proven record of bringing people together to share knowledge, innovate, and create solutions of mutual benefit. Energetic promoter of collaboration, communication and cooperation among institutions, leveraging existing technologies while actively helping to test and inform the development of new systems. Bob is currently involved in helping advance the exploration and adoption of cloud technologies around the higher education community with a focus on embracing the multi-cloud world.
- Internet2, NET+ Programs, Program Manager, Cloud Infrastructure & Platform Services: 2021-present;
- Indiana University, University Information Technology Services, Manager, Cloud Technology Support: 2014-2021;
- Internet2, NET+ Programs, Lead Project Manager, Net+ Box Cloud Service Integration: 2011- 2012;
- Indiana University, Project Manager Indiana University Box Implementation: 2011-2019;
- Indiana University, University Information Technology Services, Manager, IT Community Partnerships: 2009 - 2014;
- Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Graduate Accounting Programs and Information Systems Graduate Programs, Associate Director of Information Systems Technology: 2000- 2009;
- Indiana University, UITS Education Program, Education Specialist and Acting Assistant Manager: 1998 – 2000;
- Indiana University, UITS Student Technology Consulting, Consultant Administrator: 1997 - 1998
Professional Experience Prior to 1997 includes Visiting Instructor of Russian at Indiana University, Ohio University and University of Kentucky; Instructor of English at Jozsef Attila Gimnazium (Ozd, Hungary) and Berzsenyi Daniel Gimnazium (Budapest, Hungary); Assistant Director of the Indiana University Summer Workshop in Slavic and East European and Central Asian Languages
PAST/PRESENT PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES: ECAR Cloud Working Group, Cloud Computing CG (Co-chair, 2017-2020), Box HED Advisory Board (Chair), Box Product Advisory Board, NET+ AWS Service Advisory Board, Google HED Advisory Board (GCP Track Chair), NET+ GCP Service Advisory Board (Chair), Cornell Cloud Forum (Co-chair) MOR Associates IT Leadership Program (Graduate)
The ECAR-CLOUD Working Group is developing this series of seven papers, Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud. The sixth paper, Cloud Awareness and User Support, outlines how institutions can address end-user support, end-user documentation, user training, and community outreach in the cloud.
Operationalizing the Cloud, addresses cloud computing risks and how to operationalize the cloud. Most colleges and universities have moved at least some services to the cloud, while others have built out large-scale cloud environments. Ensuring that these services effectively align with an institution’s needs requires careful planning and ongoing management.