David Freitag is an IT Principal Analyst in the IT Development Services department of Pima County Community College District in Tucson, AZ. He has served in this position since October 2009. Prior to this he had been an academic advisor at the Downtown Campus and taught MS-Excel at the University of Arizona. Prior to working in the academic environment, David worked for more than 20 years in the software industry and was the Director of Product Architecture, Portals, and Release Delivery for Indus International in San Francisco, CA.
In his current position David is the project manager or lead analyst for various software implementation projects in the college. He works with Banner, BDMS, Workflow, and Flexible Registration.
David has a B.S. in Computer Science from Middle Tennessee State University and a M.S. in Academic Advising from Kansas State University.
----- ACTIVITIES -----
- Active member of the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Wrote and published two articles in NACADA's Academic Advising Today titled, "Are Academic Advisors Knowledge Workers?" And "Freedom to Choose: Organizational Classifications and Internal Identities"
- Wrote and published "Creating a Personal Philosophy of Academic Advising" in the NACADA Clearinghouse.
- One of 11 pre-publication reviewers for NACADA monograph on Advising Approaches to be published in 2013.
- Created software for NACADA members to use the Academic Advising Inventory Survey.
- Created software for Academic Advising program assessments using the CAS standards and guidelines for academic advising programs: The Academic Advising Program Assessment (APPA).
- Created and maintains the www.academic-advising.com website for the academic advising community
- Presented "Turning Paper Processes into Transparent Electronic Workflows" at the 2012 SunGard Summit in Las Vegas.
- Created and maintains the www.theacmemethod.weebly.com website containing tips for attending a conference.
- Created and maintains the www.stopofficebullying.weebly.com website to help combat bullying in the workplace.